Sunday, June 3, 2018

Food Addiction - 7 ways to stop binge eating



Addiction are of various types, yet often people forget to address the issue of "Food Addiction". With the junk food lifestyle, a high dependence on packet and frozen foods, there is a growing number of population worldwide fighting lifestyle diseases such as obesity, diabetes, poly-cystic ovary syndrome, thyroid, depression, etc. However, most people don’t even acknowledge food addiction as an addiction till they are diagnosed with a disease that cannot be cured unless there is a drastic lifestyle change.

I realized that I was a food addict in 2016 when I gained an extra 12 kilos over my already overweight weight range. This extra weight pulled me down and led me to  eating even more. I have managed to lose those extra 12 kilos by making slight modifications in my food and exercise lifestyle. I still love food but I am not a food addict anymore. Although I am a vegetarian, I love potatoes, fried food and sugar. The temptation of eating a bag of chips, biscuits or a pastry is still an issue. However, for the most part I am able to control my cravings. 

I dealt with my food addiction in the following ways:

1.        Acceptance of the situation

When we are faced with a crisis or we are stuck in a difficult situation, the most important thing is to accept the situation. It took me some time to accept that I am a food addict before I could start working on reversing the situation. The first stage to overcome any disaster is to accept the disaster and then find a solution. Once you accept that you have a problem, it becomes easier to find solutions as you are not running away from the problem anymore. This also helps to calm the mind and work positively towards changing the situation.

2. Building faith in yourself

Trusting yourself is the hardest thing to do when you have suffered a loss or are in the midst of a disaster or have been diagnosed with a disease. When I realized how much weight I had gained, it was really difficult to believe in myself and to change my lifestyle. From being a couch potato to getting even a 15 minute walk done was a challenge. I started slow and kept reminding myself that if somebody else can do it, so can I. Every day when I achieved victory over my doubts and cravings, I gained more confidence. From walking at home for 15 minutes a day, I got to a point where I could complete a 45 minute exercise program at least 5 days a week. The exercise helped me gain control over my cravings. By the end of one year, I had managed to lose a few kilos that were pulling me down and gain confidence. The mantra is to always know in your mind that anything is achievable if you have faith in yourself.

3. Yoga or meditation

During this journey, I enrolled myself in a 7 day yoga camp at the Yoga Institute in Mumbai (India). This 7 day camp not only taught me yoga techniques but also taught me to eat well. Live to eat was my approach towards food. This camp taught me that my approach itself was wrong. Thus, I began to eat to live. By the end of the camp, my spirits were high and my will was strong. Yoga not only calms your mind but it is a way of life. Anyone can do yoga anywhere. When you learn to control your breaths, you achieve power over your mind. A powerful mind is the best tool that a person can have to deal with any situation.

4. Letting go of the baggage

These days a lot of youngsters are being treated for back pain, acidity, frozen shoulder and spondylitis. I was also suffering from initial spondylitis when I gained the extra weight. Apart from the physiotherapist sessions and massages, it is very important to learn the art of forgiving. We carry too many grudges and too much hatred in our hearts, which eventually burden our bodies. When you carry so much baggage constantly, you are bound to suffer from health issues. Yoga or breathing exercises help you to release this baggage. You cannot control an external situation or other people’s behaviour. But you can work on your mind. Gaining control over your senses helps you to understand that nothing lasts forever and that no matter how much you try to control others or circumstances, you will simply fail. The only thing you can control is YOU. If someone hurts you badly, you binge on chocolate and chips and ultimately harm yourself. Don’t give anyone or any situation the right to hurt you or make you angry. This can happen only when you let go of control and accept that being hurt is a part of being alive. When you forgive, you release the baggage and the tension that is harming your body. I am not a master of this art but I am more aware about situations where I get the opportunity to become a better person and forgive people who hurt me.

5. Support Group

Dealing with any type of addiction requires support from your loved ones. Some people join support groups for help where like-minded people discuss their problems and find solutions. For me, my husband, my parents and my friends are the support group that encourage me to live a healthier life. My husband and I joined a gym and we work out together to motivate each other to exercise as many days in the week as we can. My family and friends have constantly motivated me to make healthier food choices. I love junk food and I have bad days when I binge a lot. But I have now managed to form a connection with my body such that my body gives me a signal when it is full so I can stop eating. Being able to talk to someone and share your story plays a great role in helping you get rid of an addiction or a tough situation. I also started writing motivational blogs to inspire others and in turn to feel inspired.

6. Love yourself

No matter how many daggers life throws at you or you feel absolutely alone, you should never stop loving yourself. I almost stopped loving myself due to the weight gain and loss of confidence when I realized that I am worthy of love and appreciation. The journey of hating yourself to falling in love with yourself is not easy but if you can’t love yourself then no one else will. I began to notice small positive changes in my life and that encouraged me to love myself. I forgave myself for the mistakes I’d made. I started cooking food that I loved to eat more often rather than eating out every other day. Eating home cooked food is not only healthy but also satisfying. Cooking and exercising releases tension and helps you to appreciate how much your body does only to keep you alive. When you fall in love with yourself, you feel alive and happy.

7. Never give up

My journey is ongoing and I have resolved to never give up. There will be good days and there will be bad days, but the winner is only the one who does not give up. Every day you have to try to do better than yesterday. A new year party or bingeing on a holiday should not be factors that make you want to give up. Enjoy the journey that you make from the point you started. The lessons you learn in this journey will be with you forever. But nothing works if you fall down and don’t get up. Trying a hundred times and failing is better than giving up. You might win the 101st time. I am on this journey to change my lifestyle and get rid of the food addiction. I have resolved not to give up till I get to the place I want to be in and this is my advice to all my friends and readers.

The greatest lesson that I have learnt while dealing with food addiction is thatI Can if I Think I Can”. It is very easy to shift in the disbelief zone and blame external circumstances for your situation. In reality, if you have a good heart, if you work hard, if you are honest and if you have faith, then you can face any disaster and emerge victorious.


https://www.facebook.com/JankiHemani79/posts/2008164285884885

No comments:

Post a Comment